From the East coast to the West (and nothing in between, really)!
Sand Dune Dreaming
I spent the first week of August beaching in Corolla, NC, a little town at the top of the Outer Banks. Corolla is a lovely and quiet little town, but still close enough to places like Duck and Nags Head if you want a little more in terms of commerce, restaurants, and nightlife. A couple highlights:
- Duck Donuts: made fresh right in front of you when you order!
- Kill Devil Hills (see pic on right): the largest sand dunes on the East Coast, and the location of the Wright Brothers’ first flight.
- Fishbones: great food and right on the water in Duck.
- Hurricane Mo’s: awesome shrimp and wings happy hour (down in nearby Manteo)
- Island bookstore: one of the coolest little independent bookstores I’ve been in. Next goal – get them to stock my books!
- Lost Treasure Golf: if there is pirate miniature golf to be had at a place, I am there.
From there, I jumped on a plane and headed across the country from some
I spent a week in the Thousand Oaks/Westlake area and had some delicious meals while I was there. A couple I’d recommend:
- Umami Burger: try the manly burger
- Loteria: get the Mole Poblano con Pollo tacos
- Garage Dogs: bacon wrapped hot dogs
- Bistro Zin: dessert! on fire! made in front of you!
For another opinion on the area, check out my buddy Andrew’s post on his recent week in the area at his blog Here and There Travel.
Googlies of the Month
- Book of the month: I read a couple books in August, including the fun YA zoo murder mystery Belly Up by Stuart Gibbs, the classic sci-fi story Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (yup, had never read it before!), and the beautifully written mythic fantasy novel Erekos by A.M. Tuomala. The book of the month, however, was Grant Morrison’s Supergods. Part primer on the history of the superhero, part memoir, part analysis/criticism of the political and psychological inputs to pop culture, and a fascinating look into the mind of a really, really creative guy. Worth reading even if you haven’t read a lot (or any) of Morrison’s comic work.
- TV episode of the month: how awesome were the Olympics?
- Podcast of the month: Check out the 8/20 episode of Doug Loves Movies. It features an all star batch of guests: Jon Hamm, Mike Birbiglia, Jon Mulaney, Morgan Spurlock, and Paul Rudd.
- Movie of the month: The only movie I saw in August was The Bourne Legacy, and I wouldn’t really recommend it. It didn’t really add anything new or exciting to the existing film franchise.
- Song I couldn’t get out of my head: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, “Same Love“